Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Birthday to you!

This past week was a somewhat a trying week for the Mandell household. The week started out smoothly but that all changed on Wednesday (6/15). I received a call from Ethan's school that I needed to come get him because he was running a fever. I raced to go pick him up and when I got there he looked at me with the saddest face, walked over to me, wanted to be held, and did not want me to let him go. I knew something was going on with him because normally when I go pick him up all he wants to do is go see his daddy (like his dad is the cool parent or something). So I get Ethan home and all he wants to do is snuggle on the couch, watch his favorite show, and drink his juice. He did not want a snack which seemed weird to me because normally when we get home he's ready for dinner (mind you we get home a little after five). When Justin got home it was a completely different story. He wanted to play and no longer wanted anything to do with mommy. We managed to keep to our regular nightly routine although we skipped our weekly pizza outing and Ethan really did not eat dinner at all that night. Now since his school's policy is that he has to be fever free for at least 24 hours, Justin volunteered to stay home with him since Thursdays are hectic for me work-wise.
That night I was reminded how I actually spent the night before Ethan's birth: with little sleep and uncomfortable. Ethan ended up in bed with us for the majority of the night, blazing hot, and unable to sleep. Since he was not sleeping we were not sleeping. Finally we caved and gave him some medicine to hopefully break his fever. This did temporarily make him feel better, allowed him to sleep some, and most importantly allowed Justin to move him back to his crib giving us hope to get a little bit of sleep. I think all in all I got about three hours of sleep. The night before Ethan was born I think this is the same amount of sleep I got since I had a raging headache, my neck hurt, and Justin's snoring was making me crazy! So if the same holds true next year the night before Ethan's birthday, I guess we will have to start calling this a tradition!
So the big day arrives! Ethan turns two and it was probably one of the worst days he has had in a long time. He slept in which was weird for him. He napped more than he probably does all week and by the end of the day it seemed like his stomach was in knots because he could not keep anything down. We thought he'd only be sick for one day since that is normally how it goes for him, but by bedtime it was clear I was going to have to take the day off from work because there was no way he was going to go to school again.

So all in all Ethan's birthday was nothing like I had hoped for him and all we can do it hope that next year will not be the same! We still celebrated as best as we could and as much as Ethan would allow, he did manage to open all of his gifts. So all I can say is happy birthday baby boy, mommy loves you, and you have given me two of the best years of my life!
The birthday boy eating pizza with mom and dad for lunch:
 So until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment