Friday, June 3, 2011

What did you say?

***WARNING: IF YOU DO NOT LIKE PARENTS BRAGGING ABOUT THEIR CHILDREN or A WIFE BRAGGING ABOUT HER HUSBAND, THIS POST IS NOT FOR YOU***

Ever since E was a little guy, he has always had this light about him when it comes to learning. I personally have always thought he is cognitively more advanced than his peers and perhaps that is why I have always treated him like he is older than he actually is. Sadly, I have to admit these "smarts" do not come from his me but from Justin. As many of you probably do not know my husband belongs to an organization called Mensa. What is Mensa you ask? Mensa is an international organization for people with very high scores on IQ tests. The members have an IQ that is in the top 2% of the WORLD'S population. So to put it mildly: my husband is a genius! Naturally, I would not expect any less from my children because as I have heard from day one Ethan is his father from head to toe (although he gets his attitude from me or so I hear!).

We put E in a learning center that would not only help him grow in his intellectual abilities but also encourage them. At first, we looked at the school (The Learning Experience) because we wanted him to interact with children his own age but once we received all of the information on the school, we were really impressed that they do stress education and even teach the children sign language. Now if you have never seen a child sign then you would not understand just how cool it is. E first used sign language at home when we were watching a show that was going through the ABC's. He signed "more" because he loves this song and wanted to sing it again. I looked at Justin and he did not see it, but then I asked E again what he wanted and he signed "more" again. Of course we applauded him and made it seem like the most awesome thing because a little positive reinforcement goes a long way. This proud mother can now say my son knows how to sign: "more", "please", "thank you", "eat", "sad", "hurt", and "happy"! By the months end he should be able to sign "water". Now I must admit, my son is also very perceptive so if he really wants something he will put a smile on his face and sign and I usually cave and give him what he wants.

The sky truly is the limit for my little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment